Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF)
Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) is held each summer at the National 4-H Youth Center in Chevy Chase Maryland. The 2009 conference is scheduled for July -5-11. It is a weeklong event (Sunday - Saturday) for 4-H members in grades 9 - 12. The program is based on the principle that democracy requires skills and strategies that must be learned and practiced and it teaches participants to be active, responsible citizens and leaders. The program utilizes Washington, D.C. as a working classroom to learn about the government, citizenship and civic education and provides hands-on opportunities for our teens to promote “Better Citizens Today, Better Leaders Tomorrow."
The group will travel by coach bus for the week and will experience all that Washington, D.C. has to offer. There are approximately 300 4-H members representing 6 different states at the 4-H Youth Center during each week of CWF.
Activities During the Week Include:
- Participatory workshops to build lifetime skills for success.
- Dynamic speakers to inspire youth to reaffirm their commitment to citizen involvement.
- Committees to give everyone a chance to practice leadership skills.
- Field Trips to provide hands-on opportunities to study characteristics of successful leaders, gain political awareness, and learn about legislation and each citizen's role in it.
- Social events and recreational events to encourage new friendships, fitness, individual growth and fun.
- 4-H members must be enrolled in grades 9-12 as of September 2007 and be a registered 4-H member by January 1, 2008.
- All interested 4-H members must complete an application form that requires a short recommendation from county 4-H faculty or staff. This recommendation is very important and must be included in order for your applicants to be considered.
- Counties are encouraged to submit candidates who they feel will benefit from this type of experience as well as make a positive contribution to the overall state delegation. Candidates should be mature, responsible and show a willingness to work in furthering citizenship education in their county upon their return.
All selected delegates must attend a mandatory orientation session. There will be two different orientation meetings, one in the North and one in the South.
South – Ocean County 4-H Center…… Date TBD 7 – 8:30 P.M.
North - Somerset County 4-H Center……Date TBD 7- 8:30 P.M.
For more information on the Citizen Washington Focus program,
click here or
visit their Website, http://www.4hcwf.org/